Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Taking Control of My Life

All you bloggers out there, what is the deal? It is amazing to me the amount of time that is spent blogging our hearts out. Yesterday I sat down to check out my e-mail and before I knew it, I had spent 3 (count them) hours on the computer doing nothing but surfing other peoples blogs. Now while I found them to be totally entertaining and sometimes a little disturbing, I can't believe that 3 hours went by without my even knowing it was happening. I think that I should be a little bit concerned about this turn of events. Now mind you, it is not like I didn't have anything else to do. My floor needs mopping something fierce, my toilets need cleaning (sorry if that grosses anyone out), I do have laundry that needs some serious attention, the vacuum is sending me miss you cards, don't even get me started on the dust that is building up so that I could build a dust castle on top of my piano. I am an empty nester but what if I had children to attend to, the thought scares me just a little bit.
How do you all do it? You must be far more organized then I ever thought about being. It is time to take control, while I love you all, I must make a few rules for my blogging time. Whenever I blog from here on out I must do it in a darkened closet where I will not see the sun coming up or going down and cannot be taunted by housework that needs attention. All clocks will be unplugged and all alarms turned off. There, now I feel better. There is a solution to every problem.

7 comments:

Tara H. said...

I totally agree with you on all points. Time goes by so quickly that it is scary how long you can actually stay on the computer. My rule, mind you I am a rule breaker, is to only be on the computer when all children are either at school or sleeping. So when Emma and WIll are at school and Tyler is sleeping, then I will get on the computer. Or at night, after they are in bed. Then I try to get the housework done when they are busy playing, or novel idea, I actually have them help me do the work. Then we also try to find the time to play, swim, homework, or watch a couple of PBS shows. It's a balancing act. I also try to keep the rule that if there is a lot of housework to be done, then I get at least one or two things done before settling into the comfy computer chair. However, I have been known to be on the computer while my kids are all running around screaming and fighting and Tyler is eating the toiler plunger, but hey, that's just every once in a while. :) Don't feel guilty. At least you are an empty nester. You fortunately didn't have the evil influence of the computer when your kids were little. You probably spent way more time with them then we do with our little kids today.
Well, we do the best we can, and try a little harder, to be a little better.
Love you tons and tons!

J+S said...

I say the dusting, vacuuming, mopping can wait. There are blogs to read and sites to visit!

Deedee said...

Isn't it fun to have the choice to spend your time the way you want...you are truly blessed my dear sister.

Heidi said...

You make me laugh, but sadly, it is all so true. I have a rule about how much time I can spend on the computer before I get certain things done but the optionalish things just don't. Get done. Since I started blogging I have read in its entirety only one book (well, except for the two I read when I was sick for a week and didn't leave my room except to root about for sustenance and even that was spotty) I don't spend as much time with magazines, either. My next novel won't be anything much at all if I don't get cracking on it. sigh . . .

Jon said...

Sounds like you all need to join this group:

http://darmano.typepad.com/bloggers_anonymous/

Together, we can all overcome this. And then blog about it.

oh, and don't worry - we don't feel bad that you haven't added wadleyfam.com to your blogroll. JK!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

EXCELLENT SOLUTION :-) You crack me up! This is a funny post. But seriously, I was asking the same question a month or so ago when I started blogging. Some of my blog friends update their blogs everyday, some several times a day. It is very addicting! So it helps to have a few rules like most things. I have a full time job so I only have evenings for personal time so rule 1: I don't blog or blog-surf when my family is home. Lucky for me I have social butterflies who go out a lot :-)Rule 2: I try to post only once a week except this week when I know for the fact the family is checking daily for news from England about my husband and daughter's trip (they love England that's why). But when I cave in (and I have on occasions!) I think of it as journal keeping. I'm recording my life and thoughts electronically instead of on paper. President Hinckley counselled us to keep journals after all, right? I hope you'll blog more than you vacuum though because I really enjoy checking your posts.

Janet said...

Amen! I just spent two hours this afternoon doing the exact same thing and did not realize how long it had been! I think I need to establish some computer rules for myself, not just my kids :)
P.S. I just found your blog through the LDSblogs site. I really like it!